Financial Aid

Tuition, Fees & Net Price Calculator

Eastern is currently the one most affordable Community and Technical College within the state of West Virginia.

Tuition is only $3,432 (plus books) to attend full-time for the year (Tuition and Fees information in Eastern's 2017-2018 catalog). The average West Virginia community college costs $3,907 (plus books), and the average West Virginia 4-year college or university costs $12,886 (plus books and room and board) to attend full-time for a year.

To calculate the total estimated cost of attending Eastern, and in line with the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, the U.S. Department of Education offers all current and prospective students and their families a Net Price Calculator (NPC).

Cost of Attendance (COA).

Financial Aid Basics

  • Financial Aid awards will occur once all requested documents are submitted and the Financial Aid Office has determined eligibility.
  • Financial aid funds will be awarded the third Wednesday of class after the add/drop period for the semester ends.
  • Awards will occur each Wednesday thereafter.
  • Money owed to EWVCTC for tuition, books and fees, will be deducted from financial aid award and the remaining amount will be refunded to the student.
  • Refund checks will be mailed to the mailing address on file within 14 business days.

Please check your student account (MyEastern) to view your financial aid status.

If you have questions, you may check your student account or contact Cashier’s Office (ext. 9250) or Financial Aid Office at 304-434-8000 (ext. 9256).



FAFSA applicants are selected for verification by the US Department of Education. Additionally, if the Financial Aid Office identifies incomplete or inconsistent information, we are required by federal regulations to collect additional documentation.

In the verification process, we will request supporting documents to verify the information submitted on your FAFSA. If you are selected for verification, you may be asked to supply one or more of the following documents (do not turn these in unless you are asked to):

  • Verification Worksheet
  • Parent’s IRS Tax Return Transcript*
  • Student’s IRS Tax Return Transcript*
  • Verification of Selective Service Registration
  • All young men between the ages of 18 and 25 must be registered with Selective Service in order to be eligible to receive Federal Financial Aid. Contact the Selective Service at: 1.847.688.6888 or online at:
  • Identity/Statement of Educational Purpose
  • High School Completion Status
  • Other documents, as requested, to verify items reported on the FAFSA

Documentation may be mailed to:

Eastern WV Community & Technical College 
Attn: Financial Aid 
316 Eastern Drive
Moorefield, WV 26836

Documentation may be scanned and emailed to:

Documentation may be faxed to:

  • Attn: Financial Aid at Fax #: 304-434-7004


After the financial aid director determines a student’s eligibility for financial aid these steps are followed:

  1. When the financial aid director reviews applications, the student is notified of an offer of award and any verification requirements (verification documents must be submitted within 30 days).
  2. An award notification is emailed so the student can check their student account for all financial aid awards.
  3. Students who can’t accept or want more loans than are offered should contact the financial aid office.
  4. Students are notified of payment procedures.
  5. All Financial Aid refund checks will be mailed to the current student address on file.

Who Qualifies for Financial Aid?

Even with Eastern's low tuition, qualifying for some type of financial aid to assist with college costs is easier than ever before. Whether it be a grant, a student loan, or scholarship, funds are available through federal, state and private sources. wishing to renew their funds beyond the first semester must maintain Standards of Progress Guidelines (specific guidelines are published on the back of all student award letters).

Back to Top

What Can Financial Aid Pay for?

Based on an individual's aid, the following items can be all or partially covered:

  • Tuition and Fees
  • Textbooks
  • Transportation Costs (i.e. gas, car repairs)
  • Daycare expenses
  • Living Expenses
  • Computers
  • Disability Expenses

What Types of Aid do Eastern Students Qualify for?

Students at Eastern regularly qualify for the following kinds of aid (open the links below for information on procedures and criteria for selecting award recipients and amounts, and for required forms):


Must I be a Full-Time Student for Aid?

No.  Most funds require at least six credit hours of classes a semester to get financial aid.  Federal Pell Grants may be available for as little as one class.

 Back to Top

How to Apply

To apply for financial aid simply:

1. Visit the website of the College Foundation of West Virginia and complete the online application for the PROMISE scholarship. (To apply for the WV Higher Education Grant, follow the instructions below.)
2. All financial aid applicants must complete a FAFSA form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The Title IV code to use on the FAFSA is 041190.
3. Submit your FAFSA via the web at Complete a one page Eastern Financial Aid Application.
4. Receive an award notification which can be found on your student account for each semester,
6. To receive your funds make sure your file is complete.
7. Funds will be applied to your tuition account at the end of the second week of classes each semester.
8. Students receiving aid in excess of tuition and fees will receive a check in the mail.

If you have previously attended any college or university, you MUST contact those schools and request an official academic transcript.


Special Situations

If a student believes they have unusual circumstances that may justify an adjustment to their financial aid eligibility, they should contact the Financial Aid Office.  Two types of requests that may warrant a change to a student’s financial aid file are described below.

Special Circumstance Request

May be used when a family's financial circumstances have changed due to death of a parent, divorce, separation, or loss of employment.

Circumstances may include:

  • A 30% reduction in income due to changes in employment from last year to this year
  • Excessive medical expenses not covered by insurance
  • Change in marital status due to divorce or separation
  • Death of a primary wage earner

You may be asked to provide:

  • Base year income information, layoff or termination notice, projected income information for the current year, Verification Worksheet and other income information in support of your request
  • Copies of medical bills and evidence that payment arrangements have been made
  • copies of divorce decrees, W-2's or other income information as required
  • Death certificate of primary wage earner and W-2's or other income information as required
  • The Special Circumstances Form

Dependency Override Request

Below are the dependency questions from the FAFSA.  Answering “Yes” to any one of the following will result in a student being considered an independent student for federal student aid programs and the student will not need to contact the Financial Aid Office to make a request for a dependency override:

  • Were you born before Jan. 1, 1994?
  • As of today, are you married?
  • At the beginning of the 2017–18 school year, will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forces for purposes other than training?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?
  • Do you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you?
  • At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care, or were you a dependent or ward of the court?
  • Has it been determined by a court in your state of legal residence that you are an emancipated minor or that you are in a legal guardianship?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2016, were you determined to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless, as determined by (a) your high school or district homeless liaison, (b) the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, or (c) the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program?

Dependency Override Request: Alternative Procedure

Students who do not meet the criteria of an Independent Student by answering “Yes” to one of the dependency questions above may make a request for a dependency override by contacting the Financial Aid Office. The U.S. Department of Education feels that students under 24 years of age should be assisted by their parents in educational expenses. You cannot live with your parents and request a dependency override. The Financial Aid Office will review your documents and notify you by letter of the decision. You will be asked to provide ALL the following:

  • Dependency Override Form (a meeting with financial aid staff is required to obtain form)
  • A letter, on letterhead, from clergy, social worker or a counselor indicating why there is an estrangement from parents
  • Verification Worksheet
  • Tax Return Transcript
  • Addition Income and Expense Information including: a copy of current lease, utilities, etc., in student's name, and other pertinent income information

Where Can I Get Help?

For assistance in:

  • Filling out forms
  • Checking your forms before they are mailed
  • Understanding your Award Notification or Revised Award Notification
  • Completing a scholarship application 

Contact Eastern's Financial Aid Office by email:; or at 877-982-2322, ext. 9256

Also, check out How to Complete the FAFSA on Eastern's website.

Additional information about Financial Aid for College in West Virginia is available at Financial Aid 101 and Financial Aid Planning, both from the College Foundation of West Virginia.

FAFSA's offical "Help" webpage also offers informed answers to students' questions about Federal Student Financial Aid.

 Back to Top

You Need to Know:


Exit Loan Counseling Workshop:

Exit Loan Counseling is required when a federal loan borrower graduates, leaves school, or drops below half-time enrollment.  Eastern’s Financial Aid Office is offering Exit Loan Counseling Workshops to assist with the completion of the counseling.  The group or individual workshop will discuss important topics related to repayment, and the opportunity to receive assistance with the required online Exit Counseling.

Online students, or students who are unable to attend the group or individual workshop, may contact Financial Aid Office at 304-434-8000, or by email to: Debra Nelson ( or Eastern's Financial Aid Office by email: for an alternative arrangement.


Check Your Financial Aid Status

To check the status of your Financial Aid Award, follow the steps described below:
1. Log on to the Eastern Academic Records Service's new link  (at ) 
2. Click on "Enter Secure Area" 
3. Type in your User ID (usually begins with "S001") 
4. Type in your PIN (your birthday in six digits -- for example, October 10, 1970 would be 101070) 
5. Click on "Student and Financial Aid Info"
6. Click on "Student Records"
7. Click on "Account Summary"


 Back to Top