WV HEAPS Academic Grant Program
WV Higher Education Adult Part-Time Students
The purpose of the HEAPS Grant Program is to encourage and enable needy West Virginia students who desire to continue their education on a part-time basis at the post-secondary level. Recipients are selected each year by institutions based on the student’s eligibility and the availability of funds.
ELIGIBILITY Criteria for HEAPS Grant Program:
A person is eligible for consideration for a HEAPS grant if the person:
- Is enrolled on a part-time basis. Meaning enrollment for not less than 3 or no more than 11 semester hours
- Is a WV resident for at least 12 months prior to the application
- Is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Has completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov
- Has financial need based upon cost of attendance less expected family contribution from the FAFSA
- Is not in default on any higher education loans
- Is not incarcerated in a correctional facility
- Is in compliance with the Military Selective Service Act
- Is enrolled in a certificate or associate program
- Does not hold a previous bachelor degree
- Has a high school diploma, TASC (former GED) or high school equivalent diploma
- Is in compliance with all Standards of Academic Progress
- 2.0 cumulative GPA
- 67% completion rate for all courses attempted
Each HEAPS grant is eligible for renewal until the program of study is completed but not to exceed an additional nine years beyond the first year awarded.
Students with questions, or who wish more information, should contact Eastern's Financial Aid Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org , or by phone at 304-434-8000 (or toll-free: 877-982-2322), ext. 9256.