WV Adult Education
Adult Education Program (A.E.)
A.E. Notes: Regular Classes start in September, 2016
Eastern WV Community & Technical College: Moorefield Campus & Petersburg Technology Training Center
Registration is required. Classes are FREE!
Adult Education (A.E.) services provide adults with educational opportunities to improve literacy skills necessary to become self-sufficient and to participate effectively in the workplace, home, and community.
- TASC ('Test Assessing Secondary Completion™' replaces GED® in WV to earn a WV High School Equivalency Diploma) preparation;
- improving academic skills such as reading, math and writing;
- developing speaking and writing communication skills for ESL students.
Instruction is provided by qualified teachers in a conveniently located, supportive, and student-centered learning environment. All instructional services and materials are free.
A.E. Program Offerings:
- Basic Skills Instruction (math, reading, writing)
- Basic Computer Instruction: “On” Button: Introduction to the Personal Computer
- Employment Skills Instruction: Job applications, resumes, cover letters, interviewing
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- English Language/Civics
- TASC (replaces GED® in WV to earn a WV High School Equivalency Diploma)Test Preparation
- Online Instruction (PLATO™ and KeyTrain® on-line software)
- Preparation for college entrance
- Test Preparation: WorkKeys™, Civil Service, ASVAB
- Testing: TASC (replaces GED® in WV) Practice Test; TABE testing
A.B.E. services are offered in three counties (four locations) in the Eastern’s service district (Grant, Hardy and Pendleton counties). The WV Department of Education also provides A.B.E. services in Hampshire, Mineral, and Tucker counties. For more information, contact an office near you or http://wvde.state.wv.us/abe/.
Hardy County (At Eastern Campus, full-time program)
Instructor, and referral contact: Vera Shockey
Hours: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm, Monday - Thursday
Location: Eastern WV Community & Technical College
Phone: 304-434-8000 or 1-877-982-2322; ext. 234
Grant County (full-time program)
Instructor, and referral contact: Amanda Barger
Hours: 8:30 am - 3:00 pm, Monday - Thursday
Location: Eastern WV Community & Technical College Technology Center, Petersburg, WV
Phone & fax: 304-257-1277
Pendleton County (Wednesday, 5:00-8:00 PM)
Contact Amanda Barger for referrals and information
Locations: Pendleton County High School (Eastern Discovery Center), Franklin, WV 26807
Phone: 304-257-1277 (contact phone)
ESL-Civics (part-time program) (check back for schedule)