WV Higher Education Grant

West Virginia students who have demonstrated their financial need on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), and who are seeking a degree as fulltime undergraduates, qualify for the West Virginia Higher Education Grant. They may transfer this renewable award from semester to semester, if necessary, between eligible post-secondary learning institutions in West Virginia and Pennsylvania, but no student shall receive an award for more than 4 years.

The WV Higher Education Policy Commission (HEPC) awards these grants on the basis of economic need. To apply, students must complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1, and no later than April 15, of the year for which you anticipate enrolling fall semester. Any student who certifies on the FAFSA that he or she is a WV resident is eligible for consideration, and HEPC, as a state agency, automatically receives the FAFSA information for all certified state residents.

The amount of the award may vary from year to year, according to each student’s demonstrated need, individual major field of study, and state funding levels. (For  2013-2014, no award exceeded $2,500.) Other aid awarded to an individual might also affect the amount of a grant, although students may generally piggyback this grant with other financial aid, including other grants, scholarships and loans.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • A citizen of the United States
  • West Virginia residency for at least 12 months prior to date of application
  • Be a high school graduate or earned a General Education Development (GED diploma)
  • Demonstrate an established level of financial need
  • Demonstrate academic promise
  • Enroll at a participating institution in West Virginia or Pennsylvania as a full-time undergraduate student
  • Have not previously earned a bachelor's degree

Students with questions, or who wish more information, should contact Eastern's Financial Aid Office by email: finaid@easternwv.edu , or by phone at 304-434-8000 (or toll-free: 877-982-2322), ext. 9256.

Back to Top