Student Email / Office 365 Access
[Please note: Please take the time to read over the instructions on this page for using your Eastern email account and the Office 365 Suite of services. Students who still need help logging into their Eastern email account or onto Eastern computers, please ask our Peer Coaches in the Learning Lab. If the Coaches can’t resolve the problem, please contact Monica Wilson at 304-434-8000, ext. 9235.]
Eastern Email and Office 365
Eastern assigns a personal email account, with a contacts feature and calendar, to all students registered in credit courses. All registered Eastern students also enjoy access to and use of other Office 365 online software, including sharing and newsfeed tools, Microsoft® WORD, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.
If you are a registered Eastern student, you should receive a letter that contains your email account name and temporary password. (Some students may wish to set up their account so that it automatically forwards any incoming email to another personal account of their choosing (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.). To do so, just folllow the easy email forwarding set-up instructions.)
When you log-on for the first time, you will be prompted to change your password. That will became your account password. (Please see more below about password expiration and changing passwords.)
Please note: This same username and password will also enable you to use student comupters at Eastern.
Email Account Names
Most student Eastern email accounts will have the format: firstname.lastname@example.org. However, where students' names in that format exceed 20 characters, the College will assign you an abbreviated account name: email@example.com. Similarly, if two or more students have the same name, the College will assign account names with either a middle initial or a numeral to differentiate between them: firstnameMlastname@student.easternwv.edu; or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Passwords expire and must be changed every 120 days. You can change your password only if you are logged on through an Eastern campus computer with your username and password. (And you must not change the password through the Office 365 log-on.)
If you forget your password, or do not change it when required, you will need to contact the front desk to request a password reset. The reset password will always be the same password shown in your original account notification letter.
You can change your password at any time by following the instructions below.
Computer Usage Policy
As a computer user at Eastern you are held accountable for using your accounts responsibly. Computer access is a privilege and can be revoked for violation of Eastern’s "Appropriate Computer Usage Policy" found in the "General Information" section under "Institutional Policies" in the latest Eastern catalog on this website. You will also find the policy under the "General Administrative Policies" section on the "Board Policies" page on this website.
Although most of the email and other Office 365 online services are intuitive, below you will find a series of links to video tutorials on how to use the software. Based in the cloud, this email and software package is accessible from any device with an Internet connection, and includes built-in antivirus and anti-spam protection, 50GB of email storage, and 1TB of storage for
Tutorial Videos For Email & Office Online
The links below offer video tutorials on how to use the email and Office Online software services.
For Office 365:
- Welcome to Office 365
- Share Documents in Office 365
- Use email and more in Office 365
- Communicate with Lync in Office 365
- Use Office and Office Online in Office 365
For Office Online (Microsoft® WORD, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote):
- Get started with Office Online in Office 365
- Use Office Online to work together in Office 365
- Anywhere-access to Office documents in Office 365
- Basic tasks in Excel Online
- Basic tasks in OneNote Online
- Basic tasks in PowerPoint Online
(For more videos, see Training courses for Office 365 for business.)
Changing Your Password
|Note: Do not change passwords through your Office 365 log-in.
If you do, Eastern’s server will soon automatically change it back to your old password, and eventually it will expire.
You may change your password only as described below.
You are able to change your password at any time only if you are logged onto the Eastern server's Active Directory (AD): That means, once you have logged onto to an Eastern computer with your username and password.
Sometimes the AD (Eastern server) will automatically ask you to change your password. In those cases, after you have logged in, you will see a pop-up window informing you that:
|"Your password will expire in [x] days. Do you want to change your password now? Yes / No?"|
Whether you decide to change the password on your own, or if you are prompted by the server to do so, the method to change or update your password is the same. (But if you have been prompted by AD (the server) to change your password, skip to step 3 below.)
If you are manually changing your password, use the following steps:
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del
- This opens the Windows Security menu.
- Choose "Change Password".
- Enter your Old (existing) password.
- Enter your New password where indicated, then retype it again in the bottom box.
- Click the OK button.
Forwarding Your Eastern Emails To Other Personal Accounts
Instructions to forward your Eastern email to another personal email account of your choice:
- Log into your account with your email account name and password.
- On the blue Office 365 menu bar along the top of the screen, select “Outlook.”
- Once Outlook opens, click on the “Settings gear wheel” in the screen’s upper right-hand corner.
- From the drop-down menu, select "Options".
- Within "Options," in the right-hand “Shortcuts” column, click on "Forward your email".
- In the "Forwarding" section, enter the full personal email account name to which you wish mail forwarded.
- [Optional: It is your option to keep a copy of all forwarded messages in your Eastern Office365 account. Note: if you do not check this box, nothing sent to your email@example.com email account will be saved in your Eastern mailbox.]
- Select "Start forwarding."
- Now your firstname.lastname@example.org email account will forward any mail it receives to the personal email address you entered in step 6 above.