Student Services Information
Eastern provides accessible and affordable educational opportunities for academic, technical, workforce training and life-long learning for the Potomac Highlands regional community. We increase your success by supplying personal attention to your goals, flexible scheduling, free tutoring services, peer coaches, advisors, and industry experts as instructors, all of whom are here to help guide your every step.
Tutoring: Eastern WVCTC strives to make sure that all students have everything that they need to be successful, and now offers free access to online tutoring services through Tutor.com. The service offers live tutors who are available in real time 24/7 to help students better understand concepts in such subject areas as
- English and Writing Help
- Computer Applications (Word and Excel).
Students who wish assistance on how to use Tutor.com can find it in Eastern's Learning Lab in room 102A (the glass-enclosed room inside the Resource Center). It is open Monday through Thursday 9 am – 5 pm with other hours by appointment. A Student Success Coach is available there during the posted hours to assist students with online resources.
- Accuplacer Testing: Eastern offers the Accuplacer Placement exam to all students to evaluate entry-level skills in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics.
Students need to take the Accuplacer Exam if:
- they are seeking a degree or certificate you are required to take the assessments in reading, math, and English
- they are not seeking a degree or certificate you are required to take the assessments before registering for any class with an applicable prerequisite
Students are exempt from Assessment for Course Placement if:
- they scored a 17 or higher on ACT Reading test, 19 or higher on the ACT Math test, and 18 or higher on the ACT English test within the last 5 years or
- they scored a 423 or higher on the SAT reading test, 500 or higher on the SAT math test, and a 480 or higher on the SAT English test or
- they completed of a college level reading, English, or math class
When should students complete your placement assessments?
- Eastern encourages students to complete the assessments before registering for the first class
- Assessment sessions are open, but students may schedule an appointment if they so wish
Often times, individuals may need to take a transitional or 'refresher' class to brush-up their skills prior to entering a college level course. Students with questions about support classes should contact Lacey Koontz or Monica Wilson, 304-434-8000, or toll free: 877-982-2322.
- HESI Exam: Eastern requires the HESI Admission Assessment Exam for all students applying for the Nursing program. For more information, please click this link: Nursing Program
- CLEP & PEP Testing: CLEP evaluates and documents learning in a range of subjects: The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) helps you receive college credit for what you already know, for a fraction of the cost of a college course. Developed by the College Board, CLEP is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program. For more information about getting transcript credit for learning they have already accomplished in other places (military, workforce training, other colleges, serious lifetime study) please see Eastern’s College Credit for Lifelong Learning webpage, and its Measuring Non-Traditional Learning for Credit webpage.
- NHA (National Healthcare Association) Certification Testing: Eastern is an approved site to offer and proctor National Health Career Association Certification (NHA Certification) exams. Each of the programs below includes the opportunity to sit for the NHA Certification exam for that specific area during the last scheduled session for the chosen course.
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Pharmacy Technician (the Medical Billing & Coding exam)
- Medical Billing & Coding
The Learner Support Services staff members look forward to serving each student from the initial inquiry about Eastern’s programs, through the first day of class and until graduation.
Eastern's Student Services: Lacey Koontz or Monica Wilson, 304-434-8000, or toll free: 877-982-2322.