News & Events


Student Services

A superior Student Services Department has become the hallmark of the learning experience at Eastern....

Eastern offers the Associate in Applied Science, Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees. Within the degree programs, certificates and skill sets are also available....
Eastern is currently the most affordable Community and Technical College within the state of West Virginia. Tuition is only $2,064 (plus books) to attend full-time for the year....
Open Door: Eastern subscribes to an "open door" admissions policy and welcomes all adults wishing to continue their...
Home > Get Started > Transferring My College Credits

Transferring My College Credits

Transfer Credits
Transfer Credits OUT Advanced Placement

 Transfer Your Credits to Eastern

Eastern recognizes that as an adult you already have a wealth of experience and learning. If you have already earned transcripted credit at another college, it is more than likely that you can transfer those credits to your Eastern transcript.

It is also possible that some of your non-college prior learning experiences can be applied towards credits for your college degree. In addition to credit awarded for courses transferred from other institutions, students may earn credit through challenge examinations, military training, portfolio evaluation of experiential learning and non-collegiate based professional training. Students can earn college credit for previous work and learning by taking a standardized CLEP College Level Examintation Program test that evaluates and documents learning in a range of subjects. (Eastern also enthusiastically welcomes students who bring results from the DSST/DANTES--a military service-connected program.) Students can further add to their credit total towards an Eastern degree with appropriate documentation of professional training.

Back to Top

Credit is awarded to students who can demonstrate that the learning and skills they have acquired from job experience, independent and/or non-classroom study, even private reading and personal hobbies, etc., are equivalent to the learning outcomes expected for equivalent courses at the College. This credit may reduce the time required to complete a degree.

For those who can demonstrate and document non-classroom, experiential life-learning, and who wish to transcript equivalent college credit for that learning, the WV Board of Governors Adult Completion Degree, might prove especially interesting.

 So, why not give yourself a little credit? You deserve it!
For more information about how to transcript credit for non-academic prior learning experiences, contact Eastern's Associate Director of Admissions, Monica Wilson, in the Moorefield Center (304-434-8000; or 877-982-2322: ext. 235).

Transferring Previous College Credits

[Please Note: In addition to the regular credit transfer procedure outlined below, please see Eastern's Special Transfer Options webpage for information about some specific colleges and universities with which Eastern maintains special partnership transfer agreements.]

In addition to completing steps 1 - 10 below, you must also submit transcript(s) from EACH college attended. Please issue transcript(s) to:

Eastern WV Community and Technical College
316 Eastern Drive
Moorefield, WV 26836

Back to Top

1. Submit completed application for admission.
2. Submit high school or college transcripts.
3. Submit proof of measles/rubella immunization if you plan to be a full-time student and are 24 years old or younger.
4. Submit ACT/SAT scores if required. (graduated within the last 5 years or completed less than 30 transfer credit hours)
5. Make an appointment and complete course placement assessment if required.
6. Make an appointment and complete financial aid application, if appropriate.
7. Attend a New Student Orientation and Registration session.
8. Receive a copy of your course schedule.
9. Pay tuition or make payment arrangements.
10. Register for a VDL/On Line Orientation session, if appropriate.

Transfer Eastern Credits Out: Core Coursework Transfer Agreement

Eastern recognizes and follows the statewide policy that undergraduate core coursework completed at any of West Virginia's public colleges and universities is transferable as General Studies credit  to all other West Virginia public colleges and universities for credit with the grade already earned. (See: "West Virginia Core Coursework Transfer Agreement 2014 - 2015" [238 KB]

2014-15 Core Coursework Transfer Agreement icon_link to Agreement


Under that agreement, which governs all public colleges and uiniversites in West Virginia, students who earn credits at Eastern in the areas of English composition, communications and literature, mathematics, natural science and social science, may transfer that coursework as equivalent General Studies credit to any West Virgnina public college or unviersity. (On a case-by case basis, other colleges and unviersities may also accept additonal credits for coursework completed at Eastern: the student must check with the admissions department at the college to which he or she intends to transfer the credits.)

Back to Top

The "Core Coursework Transfer Agreement 2014 - 2015”  establishes the hours of coursework acceptable for transfer that satisfies the fulfillment of General Studies requirements. In total, at least 64 and no more than 72 hours of credit completed at community colleges or branch colleges in the West Virginia state systems of higher education shall be transferable to any baccalaureate degree-granting institution in the state systems.

The hours of coursework that are acceptable as counting toward fulfillment of General Studies requirements are as follows:

  • English Composition – 6 hours
  • Communication and Literature – 6 hours (Speech/oral communication – 3 hours, literature – 3 hours)
  • Mathematics – 3 - 5 hours (College math including general math, algebra, trigonometry, or calculus)
  • Natural Science – 8 – 10 hours (Laboratory science including biology, chemistry, geology, physics or physical science)
  • Social Science – 9 hours (History, political science, psychology, sociology or economics with no more than three hours from any area)

Courses acceptable from each institution are outlined in the Higher Education Policy Commission (HEPC) Core Transfer Agreement Policy. Contact Amy Crites, Eastern's Student Services Sepcialist for detailed information, or check the HEPC Academic Affairs page.

Back to Top 


Please Note: In addition to the regular credit transfer policies and procedures outlined above, please see Eastern's Special Transfer Options webpage for information about some specific colleges and universities with which Eastern maintains special partnership transfer agreements.]