News & Events


Financial Aid

Eastern is currently the most affordable Community and Technical College within the state of West Virginia. Tuition is only ...
Qualifying for some type of financial aid to assist with college costs is easier than ever before. Whether it be a grant, a student loan or scholarship, funds are available through federal, state and private sources....
West Virginia residents with financial need can qualify for grants as fulltime, degree-seeking students (WV Higher Education Grant), or as part-time, adult students (WV HEAPS Academic Grant)....
Home > Financial Aid > Loans


Students may apply for Federal Student Loans or Private Student Loans. Federal Loans offer several financial advantages over Private Loans.

Regarding all questions about financial aid of all types that students may consider applying for to cover college costs at Eastern, contact  Amanda Sites, Director of Financial Aid (877-982-2322, ext. 236) for Eastern's specific procedures and policies, and for more information and individual advice.

Federal Loan Programs

All applicants for federal loans must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

The College Foundation of West Virginia: a free "one-stop shop for information about preparing, applying, and paying for college" provides important information--see links below-- about several types of federal student loans available to most applicants. (That website is "sponsored by the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission, Community and Technical College System of West Virginia, West Virginia GEAR UP, and West Virginia Department of Education.")

PLUS Loans
"PLUS loans are meant to help parents cover the costs of your undergraduate school expenses. Your parents do not have to prove ..."

Direct Stafford Loans
"Stafford loans are for students to help cover the costs of their school expenses. These loans can be subsidized or unsubsidized. ..."

Check these links for information about the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program. If you decide to apply for this loan, complete the new application (MPN: Master Promissory Note) through the following steps:

1)  Go to Sign in (create an account) using student’s FAFSA PIN (that you created when first completing the FAFSA form).
2)  Complete the master promissory note (MPN). This is the loan application.
3)  Complete entrance counseling.

Additional important information:
• Students will need the FAFSA PIN. (If it is forgotten, visit to retrieve it.
• Eastern’s federal school code is 041190.
• If you have any questions, email Amanda Sites, Eastern's Director of Financial Aid, or call her at: 304-434-8000; or toll-free, 877-982-2322: ext. 236. 

PLUS Loans for Graduate and Professional Degree Students
"What is the Graduate/Professional PLUS Loan? Graduate/Professional PLUS Loans are low-interest loans meant to help cover college ..."

Back to Top

Private Student Loans

Many banks and other financing organizations offer private student loans. Applicants for these loans also must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

SmartStudent Guide to Private Loans: This website provides information about private student loans, including "key characteristics of the major private education loans" such as fees, repayment terms, comparison charts, etc. (Please note that Eastern provides this link as a convenience for students, and does not necessarily endorse any services or recommendations posted or advertised there.)

Federal Aid First: This website outlines many specific advantages for students of federal loans over private loans. (This resource is an official service of the U.S. Department of Education.)